Bad Weather Closure Procedures
We are taking this opportunity to review and communicate our standard procedures in the event of severe weather. The Marist School will make every effort to remain open, this will be dependent on the majority of staff being able to travel safely to and from school. As quite a lot of our qualified teaching staff live some distance from the school we may have to offer a reduced curriculum on these days. The school will be open when possible, for children who can walk safely to school.
Any decision to close will be made as early or as soon as practically possible and is only made as a last resort considering the well-being of all members of the school community.
The school will attempt to undertake the following:
- Make the decision to open or close the school by 7.30am
- Inform Surrey County Council who will update the Surrey School Website advising on school closure status (http://surreycc.gov.uk/education/schools.nsf)
- Inform Eagle Radio (96.4 fm) who will make regular announcements
- Place a message on our website (which will be updated on a daily basis to advise of school reopening or continued closure)
- Contact parents through Schoolcomms by emails/text. Please make sure your phone numbers are up to date with the school office. We will assume that all contact information is accurate and up to date following our collection of data in October. If you know that your details have changes since then please let us know ASAP.
- In the event of severe weather during the school day we will endeavour to stay open until normal time (3.15pm). Please be assured that your children will be fully supervised until the end of the normal day. However, steps may need to be taken to close early. In this instance the school will contact you via text message advising what you need to do. Please note that after school clubs and Extended Schools will not take place in this situation.
- To ease congestion around the school during severe weather, we may stagger our start and pick up times, please check the website. We have in the past had a staggered start of up to 9.30am and early pick up from 2.30pm.
- In circumstances when it snows or the playground is icy we would ask that children and adults take care when entering the school gates. If we have snow and you would be prepared to help with the clearing of paths around our school, please contact the school office, all offers of help would be gratefully received.
- Children coming into school should bring a change of footwear and also have warm clothing as the children will be allowed to play out in the snow if appropriate and deemed safe to do so.
We hope that we will not have to make the decision of whether to close, but felt it was important for all parents to know what the procedures are in advance of any bad weather.
We prepare for the worst and hope for the best!